What is OHSAS 18001?
OHSAS 18000 is an international occupational health and safety management system specification. It comprises two parts, 18001 and 18002 and embraces a number of other publications. For the record, the following other documents, amongst others, were used in the creation process:
- BS 8800:1996 Guide to occupational health and safety management systems
- DNV Standard for Certification of Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems(OHSMS):1997
- Technical Report NPR 5001: 1997 Guide to an occupational health and safety management system
- Draft LRQA SMS 8800 Health & safety management systems assessment criteria
- SGS & ISMOL ISA 2000:1997 Requirements for Safety and Health Management Systems
- BVQI SafetyCert: Occupational Safety and Health Management Standard
- Draft AS/NZ 4801 Occupational health and safety management systems Specification with guidance for use
- Draft BSI PAS 088 Occupational health and safety management systems
- UNE 81900 series of pre-standards on the Prevention of occupational risks
- Draft NSAI SR 320 Recommendation for an Occupational Health and Safety (OH and S) Management System
OHSAS 18001 is an Occupation Health and Safety Assessment Series for health and safety management systems. It is intended to help organizations to control occupational health and safety risks. It was developed in response to widespread demand for a recognized standard against which to be certified and assessed.
What are OHSAS 18001 and OHSAS 18002?
OHSAS 18001 is an assessment specification for Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems. It was developed in response to the need for companies to meet their health and safety obligations in an efficient manner. To complement OHSAS 18001, BSI published OHSAS 18002, which explains the requirements of the specification and shows you how to work toward implementation.
Together, this integrated package will provide your business with the practical means to:
- Identify elements of your business that impact on health and safety and gain access to the relevant legislation
- Produce objectives for improvement and a management program to achieve them, with regular reviews for continual improvement.
There has never been a better time to adopt the OHSAS 18001 Standard as the foundation for your Occupational Health and Safety Management Greater harmonisation with ISO 9001 Quality and ISO 14001 Environmental Management System standards
- A greater emphasis on the “health” as well as “safety” in maintaining a safe workplace
- Inclusion of management systems planning tools, including the hierarchy of controls
- Requirements for consultation
- Strengthened requirements for investigation of incidents
Systems we help develop and implement are designed to manage your risks, whether they are Health & Safety related, or other risk management themes such as risks to the environment or your quality reputation.
Our expertise lies in assisting organizations to demonstrate their commitment and develop their potential. Our consultants (Quality Consultants, OHS consultant, Environmental consultants, Food Safety consultants) assess important areas of your operations, with a view to mitigate risks associated improving quality to improve customer satisfaction, reduce health and safety risk to employees, reduce your impact on the environment. Talk to us at Anitech Consulting today to find out how we can help your organisation. We seek clarification and proof that your goals and obligations are being met in the development of the system. We perform internal audits and Workplace Safety Audits to assess the system implementation and identify gaps. These reports will enable you to make decisions or take action in a timely manner to give you the confidence that your Occupational Health & Safety commitments are being met.